Thursday, August 23, 2007

Winning

"You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of a good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not on his victorious opponents or on his teammates."
-----Richard M. Nixon

I've always been very careful to choose the things in life that I'm good at. I'm a teacher because I'm good at it. I'm not a professional bowler or a dental hygienist or a dog groomer because I would not be good at those things; no one would ever hire me to do those things. I would constantly be told "No thank you," passed over for jobs, and maybe even laughed at.

Turns out that is my grand plan for avoiding failure (something I don't handle well). . . to not put myself in a position to fail. I guess you could say I'm not exactly a risk taker.

How do you handle failure, loss, not being chosen? Any pointers for getting better at it.

No comments: